Hyvää Juhannusta! Happy Midsummer as they say in Finland. I will miss the holiday celebration this weekend but that’s ok because in 3 short days I will take off for Finland! My bags are pretty much packed at this point letting me focusing on the good stuff, what to do once I arrive.
Since I will be on my own for the first few days, it gives me a chance to wander the city with a loose itinerary of areas I want to explore and museums I want to spend hours rambling through. I have divvied up activities and planned out the rest of our time in Helsinki a bit more concretely for when my sister Nancy arrives. Wondering what made the list? Here’s a peek at what I am hoping to do and see while in Helsinki.
- Explore the Historical District: Major sights include, Helsinki Cathedral and Senate Square, Helsinki City Museum, Market Square, Presidential Palace, Uspenski Cathedral, Kamppi Chapel of Scilence
- Check out the Green District: Finnish Museum of Natural History, National Museum of Finland, Temppeliaukio Church, Sibelius Park, noms at the Cafe Regatta
- A walking tour of the Seaside District. This will bring us by old time wooden homes, the US embassy and others, and lots of green space along the sea
- Ferry trips to Suomenlinna Sea Fortress and Lonna Island
- Wanderings through the Design District for some fun window shopping
- Day trip to Porvoo to check out not only a quaint old town but my Great Grandmother’s hometown
- A ride on the Finnair Skywheel
- Eat lots and lots of salmon, berries and other native foods, yum!
Countless hours on Pinterest, Visit Helsinki website, travel guide books, and blogs have helped me narrow my itinerary. I also have a running list of restaurants and cafés that sound delish I want to check out. But I’ll save that post for once I have checked them out.
Have you been to Helsinki before? Anything missing from my list that is a must see or must do?